Do you experience dryness from Henna?
Then keep reading!
The tradition of Ayurveda is a 5,000 year old system of holistic healing that originates from India. (9) My first introduction to Henna was through a good friend The HodgePodge Files. She highlighted the use of Cassia Obovata & Amla powder to condition & strengthen the hair; hence I decided to give it a try. I’m so thankful I did!
According to Purdue University, Amla has medicinal properties capable of soothing sore eyes and relieving skin infections. It also benefits the hair when applied as a conditioner. Dried amla fruit, ground into a fine powder, coats and nourishes the hair and scalp. A homemade amla powder mask can also add texture and volume to your hair. (2)(3)
TIP: Do you have more than just a few grey hairs? Do you want to be free of toxic chemicals in permanent hair dyes? When mixing Henna substitute the boiled water with black coffee. It's apparently supposed to help loosen the red tones, especially where there is a large percentage of grey. It works! (7)
Usually no rinse or conditioner is used since Shikakai also acts as a detangler. This ancient product is probably the world's original pH balanced shampoo. (5)
TIP: Do you experience dryness from Henna? Add some honey to your mix! Hair oils such as Olive oil, extra virgin Coconut oil, Argan oil, etc. to reduce dryness! (8)
- “Cassia Obovata Also known as Neutral Henna or Senna.” hennaforhair.com. N.D. Web. 21 May 2012.
- Jewell Eleanor. “How To Use Amla Powder on Hair.” Livestron.com. 14 June. 2011. Web. 21 May 2012
- “Amla Powder – Ayurvedic Treatment for Hair, Skin and General health.” Mehndiskinart.com. N.D. Web. 21 May 2012
- “Amla Powder Amalaki/Indian Gooseberry/[Emblica Officinalis].” Favourfinesse.com. N.D. Web. 21 May 2012
- “Shikakai Powder.” Redrosehenna.com. N.D. Web. 21 May 2012
- LeBlanc, Vanessa. “Ayurvedic Herbs: Organic Cassia Obovata.” Hennablodspot.com. 21 March. 2012. Web. 21 May 2012
- Tricia. “The Secret of dying Grey Hair Naturally with Henna is…Coffee.” littleecofootprints.com.12 September. 2010. Web. 21 May 2012
- Henna Sooq face book page. May 15. 2012. Web. 21 May 2012
- "Ayurvedic Hair Care, tips for healthy hair." Indianhairoil.com. N.D. Web. 21 May 2012